Do you want to add healthy foods to your usual diet that help you have a good quality of life? There are many healthy foods that, today, we can add to our shopping cart to give an original and delicious touch to our dishes. Among these foods are flax seeds, a food with a pleasant nutty flavor and a large number of properties from which you can benefit.
These small seeds have become essential in the diet of many people precisely because of their excellent and beneficial properties, so if you want to discover how to consume flaxseed, in we bring you a perfect article with delicious recipes and tips.You may also be interested: How to prepare flaxseed
How to take flax seeds
Facilitate digestion and prevent stomach swelling, accelerate weight loss, be a fundamental source of Omega3 and minerals, work as a natural antioxidant ... there is no doubt that the benefits of flaxseed are excellent. However, sometimes people don't know how to consume it properly. If you want to know how to consume flax seeds, follow the recommendations that we bring you below:
- Consume flax water: Keep in mind that the amount you should consume is half a tablespoon of dessert per half a glass of water. Consuming flax water is an easy way to drink flaxseed and benefit from its many properties. Whether you want to lose weight or if you want to improve your digestion, this home remedy will be most effective for you. If you want more information on How to prepare flaxseed water to lose weight, do not miss this article.
- Combine with natural juices: mix some flax water with freshly squeezed natural juices or smoothies made with fresh and, if possible, biological ingredients. This mixture will provide you with a large number of extra vitamins and minerals that are very necessary for your body.
- Add a special touch to your dishes: adding raw flax seeds (or previously toasted over low heat) to the salad or any dish you cook at home will give your recipes a delicious touch. Pasta, rice, soups and creams are perfect dishes to combine with flax seeds. If you like tasty, light and healthy dinners, do not hesitate to add a few flax seeds to your avocado toast. You'll love it!
- Prepare a healthy infusion: make an infusion of flax seeds (infuse a tablespoon of dessert in 250ml of boiling water for 5 minutes and filter before taking) will give you heat in the cold months and will help you start your digestive system, as it will help you To relieve the symptoms of constipation and heaviness of the stomach.
- Decorate your recipes: adding seeds to your desserts and other pastry or bakery recipes is a very tasty and healthy option. Do you want any ideas? Flax seeds accompany yogurt very well, as well as all kinds of breads, biscuits and cookies. In addition, using flax in breakfast cereals will give your first meal of the day an extra energy content.
- Take advantage of flaxseed flour: Use flax seed flour to batter croquettes, breaded meat or to combine it with pizza dough. It is a healthy way to prepare a rich and very nutritious dinner.
How to grind flax seeds
Before making any kind of recipe with flax seeds, it is very important that you learn how to grind flax seeds. This first step is essential if we want the final result to be totally satisfactory and that the product obtained, in this case, flax flour, keeps all its properties intact. To grind flax seeds, there are the following options:
- With a flax seed grinder: For this you will need this specific device that you can buy in stores such as herbalists and other specialized stores. To grind the seeds, you must remove the lid that is on the top and pour the seeds. Once filled, you must grind the seeds by turning the grinder (remember to place a plate under it so that the flour obtained does not disperse).
- With a pepper grinder: If you don't want to invest in a new appliance for your kitchen, you can always count on the classic pepper grinder and other spices. You just have to remove the lid and pour the seeds inside. Then you can proceed to grind them as you would with peppercorns.
- With a coffee grinder: If you are fond of coffee and you like to drink it freshly ground, you will surely own a grinder at home. From now on, you can also use the grinder to grind the flaxseed and obtain an excellent flour.
- With a blender: If you own a blender, you only need to pour a good handful of seeds and water to get a cream of flax seeds with which to enrich your meals. The usual amounts are 1 glass of water for each tablespoon of seeds, but you can make your own recipe based on your tastes and how you want the cream or juice to turn out.
How to preserve ground flax
As important as grinding flax seeds with a suitable apparatus is to ensure that the resulting flour is properly preserved and as long as possible. For it, you must keep the flour in an airtight container in which the air does not enter and keep it in the refrigerator until its consumption. It is always recommended that you consume flax flour in less than 7 days. Wondering how to know if your flax flour has broken down? An infallible trick is to check if its smell and taste are bitter. In positive case, you should not consume it.
If you want more information about this beneficial food, do not miss this other article on How to prepare flaxseed, as it will be very useful before you start preparing each of the recipes.
Recipes with flax seeds
There are multiple recipes that contain flaxseed flour or flax seeds as the main ingredients. A very rich and 100% healthy recipe that will please both adults and children is the vegan hamburger, we discover how to prepare it below.
Recipe for preparing a vegan hamburger
The ingredients you will need to prepare this recipe with flax seeds are:
- 1 cup of lentils or other legume previously cooked and pureed.
- 1 combined cup of onion, carrot, zucchini, grated celery, pepper, peas or any other group of vegetables you like. Remember that they have to be cut in julienne.
- Flax flour and breadcrumbs in the same proportion (for example, if you use half a cup of flax flour, you will also use half a cup of breadcrumbs).
- Salt and spices to taste.
To make this delicious and healthy vegan recipe, follow the steps that we propose below:
- Make a stir-fry with the chosen vegetables and then add the vegetable puree.
- Add the flour and breadcrumbs and mix the ingredients manually until there is a homogeneous mixture that does not stick on your hands.
- Make dough balls and put them on the baking paper in a tray.
- Gently smash these balls into hamburgers.
- Place the tray in the oven and bake at 180º until the burgers acquire a golden hue. You can also pour the dough in a pan with very hot olive oil and fry until they have a crispy consistency. They will be delicious!
Another very healthy and quick recipe is to use flax seeds for dressing salads, soups, creams or similar dishes. For it you only need to add the following ingredients in a bowl:
- A couple of tablespoons of flax flour or flax seeds.
- A pinch of salt and pepper to your liking.
- A tablespoon of olive oil.
- A splash of balsamic vinegar or lemon juice.
Mix everything with a fork or a manual whisk until the ingredients amalgamate. It will be ready! You will only have to dress the dishes in question as you prefer and enjoy the flavor.
Contraindications of flax seeds
Like all foods and despite the benefits of flaxseed, excessive consumption of this in any of its forms or preparations, may cause side effects in your body. The most common contraindications of flax seed, indicated by experts, are:
- Because of their high fiber content, they can cause digestive discomfort such as abdominal bloating or gas.
- Likewise, due to its anticoagulant capacity, it is not recommended in people suffering from a disorder or pathology related to blood coagulation. In addition, if you have a surgical intervention and consume flax, it is essential that you tell your doctor immediately.
- Although it is not scientifically proven, it is recommended as a precaution that if you are pregnant or breastfeeding consult your doctor to confirm if you can or should continue to include flax seeds in your diet.
- If you are taking any type of medication, you should know that flaxseed, due to its great digestive power, could inhibit some of the properties of medications.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to consume flaxseedWe recommend that you enter our Food and Drink category.