The refined sugar or White sugarAlthough it is the most common sweetener, consumed in excess is harmful to our health, increasing our blood glucose levels and can lead to conditions such as obesity or diabetes. However, there are several alternatives to replace this ingredient with more natural ones such as stevia or honey, an excellent option if we know the amounts to make a suitable replacement. That's why en.com we explain how to replace sugar with honey and get delicious results.You may also be interested: How to replace sugar with stevia Steps to follow: 1
Honey It is a much healthier alternative to sugar because it brings a number of important benefits to our health. However, there are three things you should keep in mind when sweetening with honey:
- This option is sweeter than sugar, so you should use a smaller amount.
- Honey also contains water, something you should keep in mind when using it in your recipes, reducing the liquid indicated in the preparations. Of a cup of honey ¼ of it is water.
- Desserts and dishes with honey burn more easily, so you should reduce the temperature of the fire when cooking with this ingredient.
You should also keep in mind that if you use honey in pastry recipes instead of sugar, the end result will be much wetter as this food absorbs moisture. This is great on the one hand because dry and hard biscuits are avoided, but we must be careful when using it so that the result is not more wet than we want.3
Consider the equivalences It is essential to substitute sugar for honey in our recipes. Being sweeter, you should always add a smaller amount of honey to your dishes.
The equivalences are:
- 1 cup of sugar = 3/4 cup of honey
- 1 tablespoon sugar = 3/4 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon of sugar = half teaspoon of honey
In the case of honey you should always use ¼ less than the indicated amount of sugar. When it comes to a large amount of sugar it is recommended to use one less cup if honey is used, for example if the recipe asks you for 5 cups of sugar use only 4 of honey.4
Do not forget that you must also adjust the amount of liquid in the recipe by decreasing it, otherwise the final result will be more watery than desired. Also remember that honey has a particular flavor so the final taste of the dishes will vary if you replace sugar with honey.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to replace sugar with honeyWe recommend that you enter our Food and Drink category.